By Robert Williams
Can you run your agency like a product and offer low prices to your clients while still being profitable?
Knapsack Creative does. I talked to Ben Manley about the nuts and bolts of running a web design agency like a product.
He shares how he provides quick turnarounds, low prices, and live collaboration while other agencies can’t.
Key takeaways from the interview:
- Knapsack Creative, goes against the grain and has a business model designed to ditch common advice, like: always charge more.
- Ben’s team is tiny: 3 people. Yet they offer low pricing, and a fast, fixed turnaround.
- Knapsack implements a tight structure around their engagements, including: one day turnarounds, time-boxing, and a weekly innovation system.
- Ben used product design to rethink his company/service’s structure.
- Knapsack is designed around Ben’s personality, and structured to let him do what he loves: no email, meetings, or design prep.
- Knapsack helps clients be more decisive with preparation and to make sure they nail it on their delivery day’s live collaborative design session.
- They keep costs low with questionnaires, making sure project’s don’t lag beyond their timeline, and get great feedback from clients.
- They make sure client’s love their outcome and are able to draw the line clearly on quality.
“We try to keep it as clean as possible by reducing the amount of unknowns. If we can create a system or a process it’s so much easier than creating a custom one-off service every time.”
How to subscribeTo get new episodes click one of the buttons below or get a link sent to your phone by clicking here. I publish new episodes every Saturday with interviews about how to be more effective at remote, independent work.
About Robert Williams...
I run Folyo which can help your remote company find the right designer in the next 7 days. I also host Freelance, a podcast about how you can be more effective at independent work featuring remote companies like Basecamp, Converkit, Highrise and more. If you're a designer looking for clients, you can also get a free 14-day trial of my referral newsletter today.
Want more? I'll send you 5 ideas for finding your next big design contract right now. Just tell me where to send them.
While it seems like implementing simple but effective ideas would be the easiest part of being a designer, this simply isn't the case. In fact, it's often the HARDEST part.
After reviewing thousands of portfolios the two most common problems designers have are:
- "My website isn't getting me clients!"
- "I don't know what to do to find my next client."
Sign up to get 5 simple quick start tips for finding your next client this week. You haven't heard these before.
You'll get a free "Quick Start" guide on how to find your next big design contract this week.
I sincerely value your trust in signing up.