How to get the most out of your membership
Written by Robert Williams
The point of Folyo is to increase the amount of opportunities and like-minded people in your network that can help you.
To steal a concept from Baseball: it’s supposed to give your team more at-bats. When you have more at-bats – it’s more chances to hit a home run.
The goal isn’t just to hit more homers (or land more clients) it’s also to take some of the pressure off.
By giving yourself plenty of opportunities you make it easy to follow David Ogilvy’s motto:
Approach finding clients with a light-hearted gusto. Play to win, but enjoy the fun.
When you don’t have lots of opportunities, it’s hard to approach things that way. Because it almost feels like you live and die by each one.
So if Folyo is designed to change that. How does it work?
Folyo works by sending you high-quality opportunities almost daily. The two primary ways I do that are: Email and Slack.
Email is the most important. So let’s start there.
Folyo uses email for 2 main reasons:
- To send you projects that look the work you want to do. That means they’ve been vigorously inspected for quality.
- To send you exclusive client opportunities. That means clients who are coming directly to the Folyo community to hire a product designer. Note: when I have one of these projects I’ll include *Exclusive* in the email subject line.
When you get one of these emails, simply follow the instructions included to apply.
Usually for a regular project, you’ll email the client directly (or through an application link).
I also reach out to clients on your behalf and get additional information about the project. (When this happens I offer to personally introduce you to the client. More info on that below in the Slack section.)
For exclusive projects you will typically email a @folyo.me address. This means that your application is coming to me and I’ll personally be recommending you to the client if you’re a match. There’s way less competition in an exclusive project so look out for those.
As a Folyo PRO member you also get an invite to our private Slack community. Here’s what you can do on our Slack community:
- Get personal 1-on-1 introductions to clients. As mentioned above, when a client asks me for a referral or gives me additional information on their project I will post in the #pro-referrals channel. If you want to get an alert on your phone or desktop when this happens, you can do so by following these instructions.
- Get support from the community. Folyo is a community of like-minded product designers who have built sustainable businesses. That means you now have access to a ton of knowledge and experience in real-time. We have channels setup specifically for you to ask questions and meet other members whenever you want. Pop-in and share what you’re working on or ask a question about a specific situation and designers will swoop in and help.
- Free source of talent via #referrals. Clients have to pay to access the talent on Folyo. But Folyo Pro members have a free slack channel to share projects, hire within the community and more. Look for other community members hiring in #referrals and #pro-referrals.
That’s pretty much the rundown of what we offer and how it works. Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or would like me to explain anything. Happy to help.
I help underwater design agencies fix staff shortages quickly and come back up for air. I run Folyo, a private referral community of product designers, and I host Freelance, a podcast about how to work independently.
The best clients come from referrals
Folyo is a product design referral newsletter and community for designers and agencies looking to get more client work. Members get exclusive product design opportunities sent to their inbox almost daily.